Let´s reinvent the toilet competition
The Water Services Trust Fund (WSTF) is supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Together with the Foundation and other partners such as GIZ and the German Development Bank (KfW), the WSTF is in the process of up-scaling sustainable, improved & affordable sanitation at household and plot level (after all many slum dwellers live on a plot where they share a toilet with other tenants). But the question is: What is improved sanitation and what works in the different urban low income areas of Kenya?
Do you have an innovative idea, plan, drawing or sketch? Let us know by taking part in our Reinvent the Toilet Competition. Please send us your contribution.
What we would like to have from you:
What you can expect from us:
- A detailed description, sketch or drawing of an affordable, improved sanitation facility (toilet),which can be used by up to 10 persons.
- A toilet which is affordable and user-friendly can be kept clean, can be emptied and which is a real improvement if compared with the pit latrines we currently find in many slums.
- If your toilet uses re-cycled materials or eco-friendly materials, such as bamboo, your proposal will be appreciated even more.
- All entries will be appraised by a competent and independent jury.
- The three (3) best entries will receive a price.
- The 1st price is an amount of KSh 300,000, the 2nd price is an amount of KSh 200,000 and the 3rd price is an amount of KSh 100,000.
- The Water Services Trust Fund will acknowledge your entry by naming the toilet (type) after you or your organisation.
- The WSTF is a non-profit parastatal organisation and your entry is meant to improve the living conditions of the urban poor. Your entry, therefore, is placed in the public domain, which means that your drawings (etc.) can be used by the WSTF and other non-profit organisations as long as your contribution is acknowledged.
- The entries and prices will be presented and handed over during a media event organized by the WSTF.
Please contact us if you need more information on our competition.